maanantai 10. marraskuuta 2014

"Ginga custom" pt.4


Okay, the title is a total lie because this has nothing to do with the Ginga-series whatsoever, except for the fact that it holds the same nostalgia value for me. I can't remember if I saw Call of the wild before I saw any GNG episodes, but it doesn't really matter, nevertheless I have fond memories watching both of these animations on VHS. I almost didn't believe my eyes when I found a brand new DVD copy of tCotW at a flea market! Sadly tough it only has the Swedish dub version on it, I'd have loved to see it with the original Japanese voices, or even the English dub would have been good. I still don't understand how a mix between a St. Bernard and a Collie ends up looking like a German Shepherd, what went wrong Toei Animation? XD


A new lesson that I learned while painting  Buck was that always paint in natural light. I made the mistake of painting in the evening when it was already dark outside. Naturally, I turned the lights on in my room and merrily finished painting the tan base color on my soon to be Buck figure. Or so I thought. Next morning when I was about to continue on with the black markings on the dog, with plenty of natural light coming in from the windows, I noticed something. The dog is too damn yellow! and so I had to paint it all over again. Never trust the light from a light bulb, it will mess with you.


What caused a little hesitation during the paint job was the lack of consistency with Buck's black markings, particularly around the ears and shoulder area. (In fact, the very first shot of Buck in the animation has his colors reversed.) I checked out different reference pictures and in the end I  just had to choose which image of Buck to follow.

Please right click and open in a new tab for a larger view!

Out if the customs I've done so far, I think Buck is my favorite.


5 kommenttia:

  1. Just randomly stumbled into your blog, and then I saw the most adorable layout and on top of that a post about Call of The Wild, so I figured I must leave a comment! :D My city's library had this on VHS in Finnish among lots of other dog/fox/wolf-themed tapes (that's how I saw GNG for the first time). Someone uploaded this in Finnish on YouTube just some years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e_BkWGQ7ug). Nostalgia :D.

    But I'd sure like to watch in Japanese or even at least in English. The Finnish dub for this is the usual Finnish quality... not so charming :'''D.

    Oh, and a nice job with re-painting!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Glad you stumbled your way over here! :D
      I also came across Call of the wild very similarly, I think I was 5-6 years old when I saw it for the first time, the Finnish dub on a VHS borrowed from the local library. In GNG's case it was a rental video, but the rental place only had part 1, quite many years passed by before I learned that there were part 2, 3 and 4! XD
      I've never seen the Swedish dub before I bought the DVD, it ain't any better than the Finnish version I remember but it could have been worse! It is a real shame no Japanese or English version can be found. Thanks for sharing the link, I haven't seen it in Finnish since I was a kid!
      Also, thank you for your comment, much appreciated!

      Poista
  2. ihana leffa<3 mun lapsuus Hopeanuolen kanssa<3 ja tuo sun tekemä Buck on upea. mun lempihahmot koirista on:Buck,Dave,Solex ja Billy. ihmisistä taas John Thornton. se oli kauhean surullista kun Dave kuoli. mutta ihana leffa ja mukavaa että on muitakin Faneja. Kirjankin aion hankkia Erämaan kutsusta,jos se vaan löytyy jostain.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Suomeksi käy ihan hyvin :) Olen samaa mieltä kanssasi, molemmat on ihania sarjoja <3 Itsekkin pitäisi lukaista kirja uudemman kerran joskus kun ehtisi. Kirjasta on tehty muutamia näyteltyjä elokuviakin joita kannattaisi vilkaista, vaikka eiväthän ne aivan vanhan kunnon animaation veroisia ole. XD

      Poista
  3. English Translation: lovely movie<3 my Childhood with Silver Fang<3 and that your by Buck is gorgeous. my Favorite Characters the Dogs:Buck,Dave,Solex and Billy. Favorite man is John Thornton. it was terrifically sad when Dave Die. but lovely movie and nice that is other Fans. The Book Call of The Wild i am going to,but if it can be found somewhere. kirjoitin saman Englanniksi jos ymmärrät paremmin sitä kieltä(printer same English if understand better the language).

    VastaaPoista