maanantai 14. kesäkuuta 2021

MLP Restoration pt. 1


I bought a pony lot of G1 My Little Ponies from a seller on Facebook. All of the ponies are in need of some restoration, but I figured these two unicorns would be the easiest to start with.

The two figures are exactly the same, the unicorn variation, and on the inside of their legs they are stamped with BULLY, W. GERMANY ©1987 HASBRO.

The wiki page in unfortunately short and there is not much info about these ponies available. My two ponies have these loops on their backs, but the wiki page doesn't mention keyrings at all, so I'm led to believe that some previous owner must have added the loops themselves.


The restoration was very straightforward. I used Green Stuff (previously seen here) to make their new horns. I sculpted the horns on top of the base of the original horn. In hindsight, I should have instead drilled a hole in the base and put a metal wire in the middle and then add the green stuff and have it blend in with the original horn base. Well, I didn't do that, so now my unicorns have some thicc horns. 


The green stuff cures way too fast for my liking, so I'm not super satisfied about the sculpt on the horns either. But this was the best I could do at the time.

The ponies were dirty and the metal loops on their back had started to rust. I removed the loops and gave the ponies a good wash with soap.


The color on the mane and tail was a bit worn out so I gave them a fresh coat of new paint. I mixed two shades of blue together and painted two layers to get this result.

Painting the horns was more tricky. I really should go buy a new basic white color, because the one I currently have is not nearly opaque enough. I lost count on how many white layers I had to paint to make that awful green color disappear.


Trying to mix the color for the horns to match the bodies was also a real pain. I'm still debating myself if I should give it a third try to get the color right, but then again, this is as good as I'm probably going to get it.


 After I was finished with the horns, I retouched the eyes a little bit too and that's it. I was done! I'm still considering if I should spray them with varnish or not. They are going to be sitting on a shelf and not played with, so maybe I don't need to take that extra step.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti