sunnuntai 27. kesäkuuta 2021

Funko Pop Custom: MLP

 

I bought these two Funko's Retro Toys line Pops online and therefore it was out of my hands to check the quality of the items I received. Minty's box had a rip in it at the back. Lucky, that I don't really care about the condition of the box. Out of the five ponies available, I picked the two who's color scheme I liked the most, which happened to be the ponies Blossom and Minty.

Minty has a speckle of pink on her bow and some glue residue in a crevice. The flowers on Blossom's cutie mark have a few incomplete/worn out petals.

The mane side eye on both of the ponies is printed a little bit too low.

Blossom has these visible marks on her mane, while Minty's was fine.

Both of them can stand just fine on their own, but Minty wobbles slightly more, possibly due to that her tail does not touch the ground like Blossom's does.

I hate the soulless black eyes of Funko Pops, but the sculpt itself was really cute on these ponies. So I wanted to try my hands on a simple repaint: fix the eyes.

Since Blossom was the more "damaged" one of the two I started with that.

I removed Blossom's original eyes with a cotton pad dipped in acetone and they came off easily.

I had an idea for how I wanted the new eyes to look, but I did not quite achieve what I wanted. They don't look that much better that original black dots. At least I realized I wanted more white in the eyes. Discouraged by my failure, I abandoned the ponies for a few months before trying again with Minty.

Minty's original eyes were more stubborn to get off and that unfortunately led to the  left side of her face slightly melting due to the acetone. The damage is not that visible from afar, but I know it's there, which annoys me. The pony's mane is just enough in the way to make the removing of the left eye a bitch of a task.

Thanks to my failing with the repaint on Blossom, I had a better idea of what I wanted to achieve with Minty. I'm really happy with the end result with Minty's eyes, even though how much I struggled to get there.

I tried to hide the melted parts with a layer of paint. I got the color to match better than I expected, but it ain't perfect. As long as I don't look at it up close like this, it's acceptable.


Looking at them again, I don't absolutely hate Blossom's eyes anymore, but I 100% prefer Minty's eyes even with all the mistakes made.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti