keskiviikko 19. lokakuuta 2016

Mattel mystery item repaint

For a while, I had been looking for a big beautiful picture, only so that I could cut it into small pieces!


I finally found what I was looking for at an elementary school's yard sale. The school was closing down for good and they were trying to get rid of all the remaining excess stuff. There were piles of kid's magazines laying on a table, I looked through a few and notices some of them still had folded up posters inside. A poster would be perfect for my intended use! I searched the magazines for more posters, and the one I finally picked up and brought home was this beautiful picture of the Orion Nebula. And I got it for free! :D


Some time earlier, I found this thing..... a screen, room divider, triptych? whatever it is, at a flea market for 0,50€. I'm guessing it belongs to a Barbie doll, because it is Barbie sized and it says "Mattel, 2005" on the backside. I tried looking it up on google, but I must be using wrong search words, because nothing even remotely resembling this came up. Well, anyway, I bought it because I thought it might work as a good background for some figures too, but first, something needed to be done about those awful colors.


I removed the original, all buckled up cardboard from the frame, spray painted it black and lastly, I dry brushed it with some dark red.


I used the old riverside view card boards to trace the shapes onto the nebula poster, which I also laminated. Then I cut out the pieces and put them in back in the frame, which wasn't as easy as it sounds. I tried my best, but the pieces I cut still wouldn't fit right. In the end, the nebula pieces also buckle a little, although not as much as the original cardboard pictures.

mandatory before & after picture

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti