maanantai 29. helmikuuta 2016

PEZ Dispenser Display DIY

So here's a making of that PEZ display stand (Yup, made it myself! ) seen in my last post, but here's the same one again in case you don't feel like checking the previous post. Tadaa! The display is (lol!) designed to hold 17 PEZ dispensers in total, hence the gaps. As seen in this picture, it can hold a lot more just without the stability like the one standing in the gaps have.



A disclaimer: I am an amateur and I don't know what I am doing. I don't know what the tools are called and even don't know what my material is. Sorry for that and I have to also apologize for the poor quality of the photos, sorry!


I started with a prototype using such fancy materials as frozen pizza boxes and old VHS tapes, it was very flimsy as best, but it helped me with some measurements and get a better hang of what I was trying to make. Following that, I made a small test piece of the material I was going to use for the finished product.


I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the material I'm using is called paperboard. Why am I using it? Because it was free! There was this big piece of it loitering around the house so I decided to make something out of it.  The paperboard I'm using is almost 1 cm thick, but I think a thinner material would also work, as long as it is sturdy enough to withhold the combined weight of the dispensers. The basic tools I used to cut out the display are a regular saw, figure saw (?), a hammer and those three things  seen in the picture.


Making a gap for the foot of the PEZ dispenser in this picture. Maybe "those three things" are some kind of woodcarving tools, I guess? Don't know their actual names, though. Unfortunately, I don't have three hands, so I left the woodcarving thing standing there on its own for the picture. Obviously I was keeping it steady with my other hand, when I whacked it for real.


Assembly! I used again the trusty old VHS tapes to support the thing while the glue was setting.  Yes, those erasers have a purpose for laying there. They are counter weighting the "steps" that were tipping over before the glue hardened. I used universal glue meant for wood, plastic and whatnot for assembling this thing, and it's doing the job well, nothing has come apart as of yet. I couldn't bother taking any photos while my hands were covered in glue, so these pictures of the assembly have been taken before I added the glue! Just to see how it looked. You get the idea, right? Do keep your candy dispensers far away from the glue as well. They have no purpose being there as long as the glue is still wet.


Don't know if these will be helpful to anyone, but here are my not so sophisticated blueprints for my display stand in PDF. Paper size is A3!

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5xpVY1vl496Z211UmdvbTZ0SWc/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-LIuDLN-axNCpOKUJeJe0ww

2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5xpVY1vl496N09PcVp0VGhKaFE/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-JW3O-C0hPGBG2XU4yHlyTw


All six parts with their label from the blueprints.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti